High Tide Father’s Day Card featuring the Stampin’ Up! High Tide Stamp Set and Seaside Textured Impressions Embossing Folder. Get tips for making this masculine card using the Stamparatus to align stamps and make multi-layer stamping easier.
High Tide Father’s Day Card Featured Stamp Set
You can almost smell the sea breeze and hear the seagulls when you look at this set. It’s perfect for any occasion including those sometimes-hard-to-make masculine cards. It has everything needed for beach- and waterside-themed projects including a two-step lighthouse. Notice how one of the sand stamps has a nice little blank spot in which to place the lighthouse base.
How To Techniques & Tips
The card design was inspired by several High Tide creations found on Pinterest including cards by Linda Vich and Amy Koenders.
Multi-Layer Color Recipes
This card uses multi-layered stamping in three colors to create the image highlights and shadows. The lighthouse is created using multi-layered and two-step stamping.
The sand layers color recipe is:
- Layer 1 – Whisper White Craft Ink
- Layer 2 – Crumb Cake Classic Stampin’ Ink
- Layer 3 – Soft Suede Classic Stampin’ Ink.
The grass and birds layers color recipe is:
- Layer 1 – Whisper White Craft Ink
- Layer 2 – Night of Navy Classic Stampin’ Ink.
Sand, grass and bird successive layers are just slightly offset from the previous layer.
The lighthouse color recipe is:
- Base layer – Whisper White and then repeated in Crumb Cake Classic Stampin’ Ink.
- Detail/shading layer – Night of Navy Classic Stampin’ Ink.
Stamparatus To The Rescue
This card is MUCH easier to make using the Stamparatus. Just lining up the two-step stamps can make me crazy when I’m using acylic blocks. The Stamparatus makes it fun. I can’t even begin to imagine getting the multi-layered background stamping right without using the Stamparatus grid to help me realign and move the stamps just a bit to create the highlights/shading. For a quick tutorial about using the Stamparatus for precision stamp placement watch this video:
High Tide Father’s Day Card Tips
Use The Stamparatus To Create The Layout
Place cardstock (Crumb Cake) in the Stamparatus and secure it with a magnet. Place the stamps where you want them on the cardstock. When you are happy with the layout, bring the Stamparatus grid down and press lightly to adhere the stamps to the grid. Don’t try to fit all the stamps on one grid – it’s too hard to ink and clean them if they are too close together. The Stamparatus has two grid plates with two sides. Each side can hold multiple stamps so there is plenty of room. NOTE: make sure the sand, light beam and lighthouse are placed so they properly fit together – the base of the lighthouse reaches the sand while the top is properly aligned with the light beam. You have to slightly readjust the stamps as you work but it’s MUCH easier on the grid than using an acrylic block.
Note: It’s hard to see but these stamps are actually on opposite sides of the grids as well as opposite ends. The Stamparatus lets you flip and rotate the grids. Awesome! Not to mention – this is the only stamping platform that does this.
Stamp The Background First
Stamp the grass, sand, the birds and the light beam in Whisper White. It may take a couple of tries with the white ink. Yeah for the Stamparatus! Just re-ink and re-stamp as often as you like without worrying about “coloring outside of the lines.” Clean the stamps using a shammy or baby wipe. Move the grass, birds and sand stamps just a smidgen on the grid. Double-check the alignment to make sure they are in the right place. Ink the sand with Crumb Cake. Ink the grass and birds with Night of Navy. Re-stamp them and clean the stamps. Move the sand another smidgen, re-check the placement and ink with Soft Suede and re-stamp.
Stamping The Lighthouse
Multi-step stamping is one of the many reasons I love stamping platforms. I can NEVER get multi-step stamps aligned properly when I use acrylic blocks. Stamping platforms make it so easy to line up stamps.
To stamp the lighthouse:
- Align the bottom of the lighthouse base stamp (left one in the stamp set image) in the conveniently provided hole in the sand dune. Bring the Stamparatus grid over top and press to adhere the stamp to the grid. Stamp it using Whisper White Craft Ink. Clean the stamp using a shammy or baby wipe. Don’t move the stamp. Tip: Let the Whisper White ink dry a bit before proceeding. Ink the stamp using Crumb Cake and re-stamp.
- Replace the first lighthouse stamp with the detail stamp. Again – carefully align it with the first image. Attach it to the grid as described above. Ink with Night of Navy and stamp.
The sentiment is stamped in Soft Suede. The Night of Navy card base is embossed using the Seaside Textured Impressions Embossing Folder. A smaller vellum layer is offset behind the artwork. A bit of twine is tied around the vellum/artwork layer before adhering to the card base.
High Tide Father’s Day Card Shopping List
These are Stampin’ Up! products used to make this card.
Reminders & News
- Bonus Days Are Returning – Stampin’ Up! is bringing back Bonus Days beginning August 1. Details to follow in another post.
- The July 2018 Stampin’ With Pixie Host Gift is the Simply Shammy. This is a great tool for cleaning stamps. Don’t miss out – this Host Gift offer ends July 31. Learn more here.
- There are only a few days remaining in the Buy 3 Get 1 Free DSP Sale. It ends July 31 so stock up while you can. Click here for sale details.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you have enjoyed this post. It’s been great sharing some time with you. If you have any questions, contact me. I’m happy to help.